Sunday, September 5, 2010

from BLACK [Billy Learns About Captain Kirk]

Look, I’m sorry. Okay? I am. Really. Because there is this part of me that wants to stick around and put up with your moping and hope you get over it real soon. You used to be a lot of fun. That night – we met at O’Reilly’s and you actually wanted to dance and I was a little drunk so I figured, why not, right? And you looked so stupid – don’t get me wrong – just... your bangs were stuck to your forehead because you were sweating and your face was all red and you just kept smiling. And you just left your hair there like that... stuck. It was driving me crazy that it wasn’t driving you crazy. You didn’t give a shit. And I found that so... sexy. Back then? You weren’t baked all the time. And when we were hanging out, you’d play the guitar. You’d actually play it. But now? Now, you’re just... here. And I thought, you know, I’ll just… I’ll give him time, right? It’s a phase. (Beat.) No, Billy, no… it’s not a phase. It’s been a really, REALLY long year with all of this and I don’t want to wait anymore for you or it or whatever to get better. I CAN’T wait, Billy, because you are holding me back. The second I walk through that door, it’s like this lazy, sad, sack of shit feeling just washes over me. Y'know... I didn't tell you this, but... huh. Fuck it, right? A couple of weeks ago Oscar hopped up on the stove at my place. I mean – it wasn’t on. But it’s a glass top stove. You know... Anyway, it was still hot, right? And Oscar hopped up there – because he likes playing with the salt and pepper shakers, batting them around or whatever — and I guess his tail or paw, I don’t know what… it touched the burner. The one I’d just been using. Well, he cried and jumped twenty feet up, you know? Ran out of the kitchen a million miles an hour and then he wouldn’t come out from under my bed for a couple of hours. (Beat.) I don’t know why I didn’t tell you this sooner. (Beat.) He doesn’t go up there anymore. I mean -- he used to go up there five, six times a day and now he doesn’t go up at all. And I guess that reminds me of us. (Beat.) I get scared to come here. Because I get scared I’ll disappear in all of this. And, frankly, the burn unit is a scary fucking place, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment